Grounds & Nursery Services Specialist 3
Clark College is currently accepting applications for two (2) full-time, permanent classified Grounds & Nursery Services Specialist 3's. These positions perform skilled gardening work in the maintenance of the College grounds and landscapes. The schedule for each position is Monday - Friday, 6:00 am - 2:30 pm. However, due to business needs of the College, the final work hours might change. If so, the successful hire will be notified upon hire in writing with the final scheduled hours.
At Clark, we value equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to growing, learning, and supporting our employees.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Maintain planting beds to include weeding, edging, pruning, etc.
- Maintain lawns to include mowing, fertilizing, aerating, thatching, etc.
- Install, repair, and operate irrigation systems.
- Remove leaves and other debris from the college grounds.
- Keep parking lots and walkways safe, clean, and free of trash and debris.
- Apply pesticides and herbicides to plants.
- Operate power and motorized equipment such as weed trimmers, chain saws, backpack blowers, rototillers, light tractors, front-end loaders, small trucks, lawn mowers, sweepers, aerators, sod cutters, and snow blowers.
- Create new planting beds and plant trees and plants.
- Service and maintain tools and equipment.
- Assist with snow and ice removal.
- Perform related duties as required.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES:
Candidates will be evaluated based on application materials, including the supplemental questions and personal interview(s), and will be required to demonstrate competencies in the following areas:
- Two (2) years' experience or training involving grounds maintenance, gardening, plant care, cultivation, landscape installation, and knowledge of plant material.
- Ability to drive and operate grounds equipment and tools listed above.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
- Effectively communicate with people and groups from diverse backgrounds and identities.
JOB READINESS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to obtain a Washington Pesticide Applicator's License.
- Ability and willingness to perform physically demanding grounds maintenance work that may include lifting equipment and objects weighing up to 50 pounds, walking, bending, stooping, crawling, and standing for long periods of time.
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Ability and willingness to maintain a positive and professional working relationship with coworkers.
- Ability to work within a team and communicate properly to prevent duplication of effort.
- Ability to work well with people of all ages from academically, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds.
- The initial appointment will include a 6-month probationary period and the employee will earn permanent status after successfully completing probation.
- This position is represented by Washington Public Employees Association.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A healthy work/life balance for our employees with the opportunity for flexible work schedules and remote work depending on position and college needs.
- McClaskey Culinary Institute offers fast, fresh, and healthy dining options for students, faculty, staff, and the community. The space, located in Gaiser Hall, features three kiosks, a full-service retail bakery and barista bar, grab-and-go items, and a student-run restaurant.
- Coffee Lounge in Hannah Hall and Clark Café in Joan Stout Hall.
- Campus bookstore offers snacks, apparel, and specialty supplies.
- On-campus early childhood education care program (pending registration and availability).
- Gym and recreation facilities available for membership.
- Clark promotes wellness with a variety of different workshops and events.
SALARY/BENEFITS:Salary Range: $3,075-$4,072/month | Step A-M (commensurate with qualifications and experience) | Range: 36 | Code: 591K
Successful candidates typically start at the beginning of the salary range and receive scheduled salary increment increases.
Clark College offers an exceptional benefits package that includes vacation/sick leave; medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance; retirement; and tuition waiver.
Required application materials must be completed and submitted online by 3 p.m., September 26, 2023.
REQUIRED ONLINE APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Clark College online application
- Current resume, with a minimum of three (3) references listed
- Responses to the supplemental questions included in the online application process
Please apply online at www.clark.edu/jobs.
To contact Clark College Human Resources, please call (360) 992-2105 or email email@example.com.
Upon request, accommodations are available to persons with disabilities for the application process. Contact Human Resources at (360) 992-2105 or by video phone at (360) 991-0901.
The security of all the members of the campus community is of vital concern to Clark College. Information regarding crime prevention advice, the authority of the Security/Safety Department, policies concerning reporting of any crimes which may occur on or near college property, and crime statistics for the most recent 3-year period may be requested from the Clark College Security/Safety Department, (360) 992-2133 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The most recent Annual Security Report, written in compliance with the Clery Act, can be reviewed here: http://www.clark.edu/campus-life/student-support/security/report.php.
If you are hired, you will need proof of identity, and documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work.
CORRECTIONS OR EXTENDED NOTICES
Corrected or extended notices will be posted online and in the Human Resources Office.
Clark College’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) supports individuals with their academic, personal, and professional development, as well as provides training and educational resources for all members of the college community around diversity, inclusion, power, privilege, inequity, social equity, and social justice. The college offers further professional development for our employees through opportunities such as Employee Resource Groups, Social Justice Leadership Institute, Cross Institution Faculty of Color Mentorship program, Administrators of Color Leadership Program, and Faculty and Staff of Color Conference.
Clark College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator. Protected group members are strongly encouraged to apply. Clark College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, honorably discharged veteran or military status, citizenship, immigration status or use of a trained guide dog or service animal. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). The college considers equal opportunity, affirmative action, and non-discrimination to be fundamental to the mission, vision and values of the college. All faculty and staff hired at Clark College are encouraged to embrace, continually support and enhance social equity on our campus and in our community. The college provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, Title II and Title IX, and Affirmative Action: Gerald Gabbard, Director of Labor and Compliance, 360-992-2317, email@example.com, 1933 Fort Vancouver Way, Baird 142, Vancouver, Washington 98663. Clark College is a smoke-free/drug free environment. This recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job description and can be changed and or modified without notice.
Clark College Human Resources
August 29, 2023